#1 22-09-2011 15:00:19

rc55
Sundown Organiser

Introduce yourself! :)

Well, if you're in the South West, or are willing to meet up in places like Exeter, Bristol or Plymouth for pub meets, this is the place to be!

Do introduce yourself below, do a little biography and what city you're from and follow this format.

Name: rc55
Introduction: I'm Ruairi, aka rc55 and I live in Exeter - you might know me as the organiser of the Sundown demo parties and my few forays into demoscene music. I mainly like tracking, but keenly follow retro-computing platforms like the ZX Spectrum. I also am a huge fan of the peak 90's DOS era, for both the games and the demoscene productions. I also like to experiment with audio/video compression, Linux, Windows Server and general web technologies (Wordpress, PHP, MySQL, CodeIgniter etc).

Edit: If you want to chat, could you start a new thread? I think one post per person would be cool here, just so it's easily read by newer members, thanks! smile

Current people on this thread to date are: rc55, spiny, doz, puppeh, tnk, joey, moose [7].
Will probably prod megmeg, Heavy Stylus and Danbee...

#2 22-09-2011 15:19:30

joeytwiddle

Re: Introduce yourself! :)

Name: Joey
Introduction: Hi I'm Joey and I used to have an Acorn Electron (little brother of the BBC Micro) and now I have a beard.

I hate Spectrums, Commodores, Ataris, Amstrads and especially Amigas because they have too many colors.  Also I don't really like PCs because they are too complicated and noisy, although I am using one right now.

Acorn has the best logo, it's a green acorn.  The second best logo is the BBC Micro, it's a yellow dotted owl.

I invented my own 3x5 font back in 1988 but people keep stealing it.  STOP STEALING MY FONT!

Oh and I'm based in Bristol.

Last edited by joeytwiddle (22-09-2011 15:38:13)

#3 22-09-2011 20:59:32

spiny
Administrator
Website

Name: Spiny (Phil)
Introduction: howdy sceners smile

i'm phil, aka spiny and I like dabbling in pixels on the Atari ST. I'm also trying to teach myself 68000, with varying levels of success. I'm part of a loose collective of three people called 'Torment' and we occasionally release demos smile

#4 26-09-2011 12:46:38

tnk
Website

Name: Tnk
Introduction: I'm kind of new to all this, though back in the early 90s I was writing off to PD libraries to get the latest demos to watch on my old Amiga 500 (still working). There weren't many Amiga owners in the Cheddar valley then. This year I went to Revision and Evoke, and had fun.

I'm from Bristol, and follow people like puppeh, doz and joey around and they let me watch them make demos. Pup's made me a thing called spaceslave which takes graphics instructions from standard input and renders them in OpenGL. So I'm making my own graphics demos in perl. How fucked-up and wrong is that?

I hang out on #crtc when I'm at my computer along with the rest of the CRTC people. Come and say hi.

Last edited by tnk (26-09-2011 12:47:07)

#5 26-09-2011 17:16:02

doz

Name: Doz
Introduction: I'm doz. I'm also not from the south west, even if that's where all my friends seem to be. I'm in Coventry, close to the geographic centre of the civilised world. I like coding pretty things for the Amstrad CPC range of obsolete bricks, but am also quite fond of my yellowing Amiga 1200 brick and used to write pretty things for my PS3 too.

I'm also on the look out for a good 3x5 font, so if you see one I can nick, let me know please...

#6 26-09-2011 21:53:26

puppeh

Name: Puppeh (Jules)
Introduction: Hi, I'm Jules, aka puppeh. I'm the founding member of the fake demogroup 'CRTC', who have released various things of various quality at various demoparties around the world (well, the UK & Germany, anyway). I live in Bristol.

I never had a 'cool' computer, but I used to send off for demos to Acorn PD libraries and run them on my old A3020, a scene which was never quite as active as the C64/Amiga ones (to say the least), but there were still some nice things to look at! I've been following things from the sidelines ever since I suppose, though I've only tried to make my own stuff in the last couple of years.

Last edited by puppeh (26-09-2011 21:55:07)

#7 27-09-2011 16:17:23

stavros

Name: stavros (Steve)
Introduction:
I'm a portly brummie who enjoys quaffing pints of ale and watching in awe as physics, astronomy, biology and genetics are developed to piece together the story of life, the universe and everything.
When I was young, I was ably assisted in avoiding direct sunlight by a BBC model A, and later an Archimedes A305. Hacking around in BASIC was cool until I saw an ST running The Cuddly Demos. I resolved to learn ARM assembly, which lead to a few less than captivating graphical effects being released as my 'demo' on Archimedes.
A few years ago I bought an Acorn Risc PC with a StrongARM CPU,  the machine I could never afford as a youth. In the brief moments I get to spend with it, I've thoroughly enjoyed building effects I couldn't fathom as a teenager.  I'm hoping to release something on this platform again one day, hopefully something that will be enjoyed rather than endured.

#8 30-09-2011 14:47:30

Moose

Name: Moose
Introduction: Hi, I'm Darren.. I've been into the retro scene for as long as I can remember. I owned a Spectrum, Amstrad, c64, Atari ST, and custom Amiga 500/1200.
I became the king of BASIC, through cunning coding techniques able to achieve almost machine code like quality. One day I will make some exclusively basic demos, just for fun. I love the speccy and am especially into attrib clash art, and 1bit music wink.
I love seeing mega coding efforts that achieve something that the hardware should just not be capable of, and I've been lucky enough to meet a few spectrum coding gods able to seemingly pull off the impossible. I am a creative type working in a Windows world, but am heavily into many OS's Win/Lin/ and OSX currently exploring elementaryOS and PC-BSD. I adore my Macs and can run any code for any OS. I am soon to embark on a project to build a retrocade out of an old laptop and my sadly neglected collection of emulators and games..

#9 03-10-2011 16:02:46

Heavy Stylus

Handle / Name: Heavy Stylus / James Monkman
Blurb: Hi there peeps.  I'm not really a proper scener as such, but have been following the demoscene since I was an Amiga and Atari ST owning lad back in the 90's.  Sadly, I jumped on the bandwagon back then with the rest of the hipsters, throwing out vintage hardware year upon year in a race to get the next best thing (TM) - and now I'm slowly trying to buy it all back again.  I prefer my computers to have 16 Bits or less.

I'm a retro enthusiast and run the homebrew/indie gaming/scene website http://www.rgcd.co.uk.  I've dabbled in game dev myself (there's a couple of RGCD prods over on pouet), but at the moment I'm focusing on releasing C64 games on cartridge for shits and giggles.

I also DJ funk/soul/hiphop/reggae on a regular basis down in the south west, and work by day as a railway engineer.  I might have met a few of you at Sundown 2010?

Last edited by Heavy Stylus (03-10-2011 16:05:00)

#10 06-10-2011 09:43:24

danbee

Name: danbee
Introduction: Hi, I'm Dan. I'm a long time follower of the demo scene, but I haven't made much in the way of contributions (the odd tune or two). I started my long computing career at the tender age of 7 on a Sinclair ZX81. I loved programming on that thing, even if 1k of memory was quite restrictive, and the 16k RAM pack would wobble and crash the machine. I took the logical route and moved onto a Spectrum 128k, where I wrote simple games in Sinclair BASIC, and got it to play tunes on my keyboard via MIDI.

More recently I moved onto PC's, when MS-DOS 2 was cutting edge, and spent many a happy hour watching demos from Future Crew and Orange (among others) and writing my own music in Scream Tracker 3.

These days I can mostly be found building web apps on a Mac.

Last edited by danbee (06-10-2011 09:43:34)

#11 02-12-2011 14:47:30

TCMSLP

Name: Steve (aka TCM)
Introduction:

I'm Steve, 35 years old, grew up in Plymouth, started life on the CPC464, later migrated to the Atari ST where I discovered the demoscene, eventually moving to the Amiga 500/1200 where I became actively involved as a musician and swapper in the reincarnation of Slipstream (later The Foul Critters).  I left the scene (also the Amiga, and Plymouth!) in about 1994 when I migrated to the PC (and Bristol) for college.  I still dabbled with music software for a few years (ScreamTracker under DOS) but eventually lost interest as I had no outlet for my music.

Probably 12 years ago now I rediscovered music on the PC using Cakewalk/Cubase and started composing again.  I formed the industrial rock band 'Caffeine Kill' whilst also releasing solo material under the name 'Moon Foundation'.  At some point in the last 5 years I also contributed music to the demogroup 'Scullar' but nothing was ever released.  I also moved to the shithole that is Swindon sad

I attended Sundown a few years ago now - always meant to come back another year but life kept getting in the way.

I'm now in the UK Rammstein tribute 'Rammlied' and release the odd (mostly unfinished) solo track under the name 'Coherer'.

I guess I'd love to resurrect Slipstream someday but with a lack of active coders / gfx artists I can't see this happening anytime soon.

PunBB bbcode test

Last edited by TCMSLP (02-12-2011 14:51:50)

#12 07-01-2012 13:49:19

Nativ

Handle / Name: Nativ / Ashley
Introduction: 01100101

Hi, I am finally online! woo! Computers, started with a Spec+2, then +3, then Atari STe and Falcon! About 1998 I discovered 8 bit Atari XE! Recently got on a Mac! ( mainly for music production! ) I make music with trackers and midi sequencers! I have a PCee too! Did some studies @ Amersham College, in Computers. Looking to revisit programming! Interested in Fractals and other kool stuff! Have dabbled in pixel painting before.. but not for a long while!

Also enjoy Dreamcast! and Jaguar! miss the good 'old days of proper arcade machines!

If anyone needs sound effect's samples/patches drop me a line!

soundcloud.com/nativ-1

Cheers!

#13 20-02-2012 01:10:32

reenigne

Name: reenigne (Andrew)
Introduction: Hello! I'm a friend of puppeh's from university and also a member of CRTC. I have aspirations - so many aspirations. My platform of choice is the PC, by which I mean the original IBM 5150/5160 machines from 1981 with 4.77MHz 8088 CPU, CGA graphics, 640Kb RAM and two 360Kb floppy drives. I've been gradually assembling such a beast from scraps I find lying around on eBay mostly, and I'm also working on a cycle exact emulator for it which I don't think has ever been done before. I also enjoy many of the old 8-bit machines - CPC, C64, Spectrum, BBC, Atari, Apple II.

Last edited by reenigne (12-09-2012 15:01:55)

#14 15-04-2012 12:55:52

Zeb

Name: Zeb (Ivan)
Introduction: My first play with computers was a mix of borrowing the neighbour's ZX Spectrum and playing with those demo machines in shops, my favourite was the Commodore 64.

Got into coding and went through the BBC Model B, Commodore 64 then an Amstrad CPC 6128. I'd not long owned this when a friend bought a KS1.2 Amiga A500. I put my Amstrad up for sale (some unfortunate mug bought it almost full price) and I bought my first Amiga - KS1.3 and this was later followed by my A1200 which came with a 64MB HD which I didn't pay for. Went through almost every language, settling on Amiga E and assembler. I only ever released one music disk and no demos, I coded tools.

Left the scene mid 90s while living in Plymouth after having some stuff stolen and not able to replace it. Most valuable item stolen was my hardware reference manual and other Amiga books :'(

Been helping out with Sundown for the past few years with transport and, like before I found computers, am back outside all day but instead of playing in the woods I'm driving around the westcountry for my job as a delivery driver big_smile

Last edited by Zeb (15-04-2012 12:57:16)

#15 28-08-2012 20:19:40

vim

Name: Vim (Keith)
Introduction: Since being allowed to fully mess about with a BBC model B at school in 1982 I've loved computers. Had a Spectrum for a while before getting an Amstrad CPC464, then a C64. Had my first Amiga in 1989 but sold it to get a C64. Sold that in January 1991 and got an Amiga 500 (fickle, I know).

Was a heavy Amiga user in the early to mid-90s, and started tracking in 1991. Was on the fringes of the Amiga scene then, doing a bit of swapping and getting a couple of chip tunes used.

I love all the old machines but the Amiga and C64 are my favourites.

These days I work in local government admin by day. I still make music as Vim using mainly Renoise on the PC. Have tried to get into C64 music for years but have nothing to show for it.

#16 28-01-2014 22:22:51

davidbiovf

Handle / Name: Biovf/ David
Introduction: Hi everyone, I'm David and I'm currently living in Plymouth. I've been following and interested in the demoscene for something close to 10 years but never released anything.  Attempted to create a couple of prods but ended up always scrapping them for one reason or another.
I moved to the UK last year at the end of March to start working as a Game Programmer at Remode Studios. Hope to attend this year's Sundown.

Last edited by davidbiovf (28-01-2014 22:23:59)

Board footer